Certosa di Calci



TIPOLOGY

Museums & Monuments

SUBTYPE

Museum

LOCALITY

Calci (PI)

DESCRIPTION

The Carthusian Monastery of Pisa in Calci is a vast monumental complex that sits on the slopes of Mount Pisano, 13km from Pisa. Founded in 1366 by a family of Carthusians as a monastery, it was extended between the 17th and 18th centuries, giving it its current Baroque appearance. Today the Monastery houses two separate museums: the Museo Nazionale della Certosa Monumentale di Calci and the Natural History Museum of the University of Pisa.

WEBSITE

http://www.msn.unipi.it/it/

More information